Re: st: Using merge with a string id variable

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Using merge with a string id variable
Date   Wed, 10 Aug 2011 18:20:35 +0100

Yes. String identifiers as such are not problematic, but note that
matches must be exact as with numeric identifiers. Watch out for
leading and trailing spaces, inconsistencies of case and other
spelling differences.

Note that the difference between numeric and string in Stata is one of
datatype, not format.

Nick