st: Line wrapping w/o the ">"

From   Brian Karfunkel <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Line wrapping w/o the ">"
Date   Fri, 05 Aug 2011 15:09:18 -0700

Hello all,

Is there any way to either a) stop Stata from inserting the ">" character at the beginning of lines wrapped from the previous line, or else b) copy text from the viewer without those characters, and as one whole line?

For example, I have a program that runs a bunch of regressions that differ slightly in the command line, and a few of them are having problems. I use -di `"`e(cmdline)'"'- to output the command line that generates each regression after the reg is run, so I can go back and see precisely which regression is causing problems, and then I can investigate further. I would like to be able to copy the command line (from the viewer or from a log) and paste it into an interactive session of Stata (v. 11), and then play around with it there. But it's annoying to have to go through and delete all the hard line breaks that Stata put in when I originally displayed the long string, in addition to the ">".

Also, is it possible to tell Stata to wrap by word, so it doesn't cut varnames in half?

Thanks for your help,
Brian