Re: st: How to constraint the sum of the coefficients to zero for a factor variable.

From   Maarten Buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to constraint the sum of the coefficients to zero for a factor variable.
Date   Fri, 5 Aug 2011 19:33:06 +0200

-- -On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 5:41 PM, Richard Williams wrote:
> I can't say that I understand it yet, but does the -contrast- command in
> Stata 12 offer a way to deal with this?

I suspect so. I do not have Stata 12 yet, so I cannot check. In
general there is a long tradition of creating different contrasts
(comparisons of groups) by creatively creating variables. The
advantage is that this required relatively little programming, so this
trick could be applied in many programs. Downside is that when you
want to look at a different contrast, you'd have to create new
variables and re-estimate the model. Looking at different contrasts
can greatly improve your understanding of the model, so having to
re-estimate the model is a disadvantage. I suspect that StataCorp
desided to side-step this by providing these different contrasts as a
post-estimation command. I am really looking forward to trying that
out.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis