Re: st: Artificial censoring in survival analysis

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Artificial censoring in survival analysis
Date   Thu, 4 Aug 2011 17:22:51 -0400

-
I am answering your second question about -hshaz-.  There are examples of two and three mass points at the end of the -help-.  The mixture model for heterogeneity means that the unobserved log hazard is at one of those points, with locations and probabilities to be estimated.

For your earlier question.

I don't see a good reason for censoring individuals at 12 months because of problems in observing other individuals.  However until you describe your data more fully, then I really don't know.

• What kind of study generated the data. A prospective cohort?.  A cross-section with retrospective recall?

• Was the study a complex sample, so that there are weights and clusters (PSUs)?

• What is the purpose of YOUR analysis?

• What was the larger data set, if any, from which you took your specific data.  What criteria did you use for inclusions?

• What is month "1"?   a calendar month, a month of an interview?  The first month of unemployment?

• Did unemployment start before month "1" for everybody or some people?  After month 1?

• For those who started before month "1", do you know how long they had been unemployed?

• What do you mean people were "younger" to experience the event?  Did you mean "too young" to qualify as unemployed at the start?

• Why do you have information on some people for more than 12 months but not for others?  How did observation end.

• Have you information on people who were employed but became unemployed during the study period (perhaps not in the data set you describe below.

In short we need a complete description of the study design and the beginning and endinfg of observation.

Dear statalisters,

I am doing a project on duration of unemployment. I want to compare models with and without unobserved heterogeneity. I want to use -hshaz- module to estimate a mixture model but I couldn't find example on how to do that. I will appreciate any help where to find examples.

Thanks,
Melaku