Re: st: Binning question

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Binning question
Date   Mon, 1 Aug 2011 16:15:08 +0100

That is true of any binning method. My prejudices aside, I don't think what you are seeking is clearly specified in statistical terms.

Nick

On 1 Aug 2011, at 12:35, [email protected] wrote:

Thanks Nick,

I have some 300 size values that need binning for each of my 96 smpls.
With so many categories - the equal-width bin method will end up splitting certain observations into separate bins (so for example; 39.27 might end
up in one bin, while 39.38 might end up in the next bin) depending on
where the bin range ends.

I was hoping for some code that might recognize certain size values as
belonging to the same distribution and bin them as such.

Hopefully someone might suggest some code to help me bin this data.

Cheers,

Mike.

Much easier and clearer just to use equal-width bins.

Nick