st: Re: Stacked histogram - empty bins

From   Allen Cheng <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: Stacked histogram - empty bins
Date   Sun, 31 Jul 2011 10:52:07 +1000

Thanks for everyone for your replies. Yes, these are Australian data.

"stripplot" (with the "stack" option) worked quite well and is clearer
than a conventional histogram, with the added bonus of the "separate"
option. To force the bins to start from a set date, I manually
assigned then into bins. If you reduce the h and use square markers,
it looks like a histogram.

gen dategroup=(floor((admissiondate-`startdate')/7)*7)+`startdate'
stripplot dategroup, over(state) stack width(7) h(.6) ms(S S S)
xlabel(`startdate'(14)`currdate',format (%d) ang(45))

I note that in stripplot without the stack option the x axis is
automatically labelled in date format, but if you use the stack
option, you have to specify the date format.

Thanks again
Allen Cheng

--
Allen Cheng
Associate Professor in Infectious Diseases Epidemiology

Infectious Diseases Physician
Alfred Hospital

Honorary Principal Research Fellow
Menzies School of Health Research