st: RE: Correct Way to Respond to Posts when Email is Turned Off

From   "Ben Hoen" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Correct Way to Respond to Posts when Email is Turned Off
Date   Fri, 29 Jul 2011 10:33:02 -0400

Correction, I do get the digest.  (Once a day early in the morning.)  I
realized I had set it up to save in a folder automatically, and, obviously,
don't often look at it.

My question was more about the syntax of the reply to a post.  For example
do you use:

"st: RE: <post title>" or "RE: st: RE: <post title>".  The goal here would
be to have a response to a particular post inside a thread line up
correctly.

Similarly, do you scrub the bottom of the email (of, for instance, the post
to which you are replying), and only include your reply, OR, do you include
the text from the post, below you reply. The main goal here is to avoid the
"[no subject], Unknown (date time)" post, but, also, as above, to have the
response to a particular responders thread line up with that thread.

This, now seems, like splitting hairs, IOW, the system is working(!), but,
if there was a right answer to this, us only-digest-members (and especially
future only-digest-members) might benefit from a FAQ on these issues.  The
goal being to keep the list and threads well organized.

Ben

Ben Hoen
Principal Research Associate
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory