Re: st: Predicting sdres in Stata

From   "Seed, Paul" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Predicting sdres in Stata
Date   Thu, 21 Jul 2011 10:31:54 +0100

Dear Statalist,
Using the regression, Lars can divide the
outcome var into two parts: the predicted part (due to BME)
and the residual, adjusted for BME, in which he is interested.

He needs to drop the robust VCE from the regression equation.
Then he can predict the residuals. As he is interested in the
estimates, not the SE, he loses nothing by this.

Incidentally, the reason his first attempt produced identical
results when using -swilk- and -qnorm-
is that the predicted values he was using are
	a_1 + b_1*BSA
and
	a_2 + b_2*BSA
These are linear transformations of BSA,
with identically shaped distributions, and correlations with
each other and BSA = 1.
Nothing of the dependent variables (depenVar1 and depenVar2)
is used.

***************************
regress depenVar1 BSA

predict sdres, resid
qnorm sdres
swilk sdres
predict adjdepenVar1
drop sdres

regress depenVar2 BSA
predict sdres, resid
qnorm sdres
swilk sdres

Paul T Seed, Senior Lecturer in Medical Statistics,
Division of Women's Health, King's College London and King's Health Partners
020 7188 3642.