st: Problem with cross sectional regression, different results from xtreg, xi

From   huyen le <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Problem with cross sectional regression, different results from xtreg, xi
Date   Tue, 19 Jul 2011 09:56:14 +0100 (BST)

Dear Stata Friends,

I'm  facing a serious problem with the cross sectional regression. Even I've
searched around but couldn't solve it yet. Therefore, I'd be deeply  grateful
for your help.

I'm  doing a cross-sectional regression for about 2000 funds to examize the
relationship between funds returns and age, expense, size. Each fund  includes
data about returns, age, etc.  for 10 years, from 2000 to 2010.
Since I want to do a yearly cross-sectional regression, I regress 2000 funds
controlled for the time variable.
Well, I do it according to the following 3 ways. Sadly, I get 3 different
results. And I'm not sure, which one is correct.

1st way:  seperate regression
. regress returns   age   expense   size if year==2000, robust
. regress returns   age   expense   size if year==2001,  robust
. regress returns   age   expense   size if year==2010, robust

Hence,  I get 10 coefficients for each independent variable from 2000 to 2010.
Then I calculate the average of them, and check the statistical  significance by
ttest. E.g.
coeff_age = (coeff_age2000+coeff_age2001+ ... + coeff_age2010) / 10
ttest coeff_age==0    /*check for statistical significance*/

2nd way: Using dummy variables

. xi: regress returns   age   expense   size i.year, robust

3rd way: Using xtreg

. xtreg: regress returns   age   expense   size, fe   i(year)   robust

If  I don't use the robust option, the 2nd way and 3rd way deliver the same
result in p_values. But because of heteroskedasticity I have to use  robust
regression and get totally different p_values between the two  ways.

Could you please tell me, which way is the correct one and how I can solve this
problem.
Thank you very much!