Re: st: Does there exist measurement error when I got high Cronbach's alpha?

From   Amir Sariaslan <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Does there exist measurement error when I got high Cronbach's alpha?
Date   Sat, 16 Jul 2011 15:06:11 +0200

Dear Sharon,

1) I would be very cautious of interpreting Chronbach's alpha due to
its numerous flaws (see i.e. Raykov, 1997). If nothing else, you're
dealing with a multidimensional (five factors) instrument while the
measure assumes unidimensionality.

2) Yes, Stata does indeed listwise delete your missing cases as a
default. Recoding your missing cases to negative values will starkly
bias the results and is probably more misleading than anything else.
There are alternative ways of handling missing cases, one being
imputation. In this case, for what it's worth, I would think that
listwise deleting the cases is more appropriate than to recoding them
to arbitrary negative values.

Sincerely,
Amir

Reference:
Raykov, T. (1997): "Scale Reliability, Cronbach's Coefficient Alpha,
and Violations of Essential Tau-Equivalence with Fixed Congeneric
Components". Multivariate Behavioral Research, vol. 32(4), pp. 329-53