st: RE: Robust version of the Hausman test... contradicting results

Subject   st: RE: Robust version of the Hausman test... contradicting results
Date   Thu, 14 Jul 2011 22:29:03 +0100

Maria,

-xtoverid- is an implementation of the test Wooldridge (2002, 2010)
describes.  (NB: The test is originally due to Arellano (1993); see the
-xtoverid- help file.)

If you are getting substantively different results when you do the test
by hand, it could be because something is missing from your calculations
(e.g., the demeaning and quasidemeaning isn't limited to the estimation
sample, or you have an unbalanced panel and the theta for quasidemeaning
should be a vector rather than a scalar, or...) or it's because you have
a very small sample and the dof adjustments for the F stat make a big
difference.

BTW, internally -xtoverid- gets its test stat by running an RE
estimation and augmenting the regression with the regressors in
mean-deviation form.  In your example,

xtreg y x1 x2 x3 x4 mdx1 mdx2 mdx3 mdx4, re vce(cluster id)
test mdx1 mdx2 mdx3 mdx4

should give you the same test stat as -xtoverid- and the same
coefficients as your by-hand regression using -regress-.

HTH,
Mark

registered under charity number SC000278.