RE: st: recognizing patterns within two columns of data

From   Dalhia <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   RE: st: recognizing patterns within two columns of data
Date   Mon, 11 Jul 2011 06:04:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hello,

Thanks for the response. I apologize for the delay in getting back. I was in a small village last week, and internet connectivity was hard to come by.

Nick and Austin, The problem is exactly the way Subrata has described it. I have shareholders who invest in the same companies, and I need to identify the companies that have these common shareholders. For example, below holderA owns shares in both compA and compB, and holderB also holds shares in the same companies - compA and compB. I want to identify these companies that are connected indirectly through common shareholders.

example:
compA holderA
compB holderA
compA holderB
compB holderB
compC holderB

Nick, I left out a few rows in my second email since the problem is confusing, and so I decided to stick only to the most pertinent cases.

Austin, the problem is different from the household_id example since there is no one column by which companies are connected. What is connecting compA and compB is not that both are owned by holderA, but that there are other owners (holderB) who also own shares in the same companies.

Finally Subrata, the code you've developed works really well with the set of companies listed above. But as soon as I use it on the original data (with 105,000) rows. I get an error message after I run the "foreach x of local temp1{" code. The error message says  "too many literals."

Here is how it looks:

. foreach x of local temp1{
  2.
.     levelsof holder if company=="`x'", local(temp2)
  3.
.     foreach y of local temp2{
  4.
.         local temp3 "`temp3'"+" "+"`y'"
  5.
.     }
  6.
.     replace hold_list="`temp3'" if company=="`x'"
  7.
.     local temp3=""
  8.
. }
`"citigroupglobalmarketsmauritius"' `"emiratesbankinternationalpjsc"' `"emiratesbankintnlpjsc"' `"icicibank"' `"idbiship
> services"' `"licofindiamoneyplus"' `"lifeinsurancecorporationsofindia"' `"norgesbank"' `"reliancecapital"' `"reliancec
> apitalreliancelongtermequityfund"' `"sbimf"' `"sundarambnpparibasmutualfund"' `"swissfinancescorporationsmauritius"' `
> "witeco"'

too many literals
r(130);

Thanks. I will appreciate any suggestions on how to fix this.

Best
Dalhia Mani