Re: st: sample selection (-gsample) in stata

From   Shikha Sinha <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: sample selection (-gsample) in stata
Date   Wed, 6 Jul 2011 15:32:47 -0700

Thanks everyone for the response. I think two-stage PPS is complex.
However to understand the one-stage PPS in Stata, I still need your
inputs. I did it in excel, and results are below:

City	No of companies	Prob (no of companies/1397)	Number to be selected
(300*prob)
Central	135	0.10	29
Copperbelt	184	0.13	40
Eastern	173	0.12	37
Luapula	136	0.10	29
Lusaka	87	0.06	19
North Western	130	0.09	28
Northern	173	0.12	37
Southern	231	0.17	50
Western	148	0.11	32
Total	1397	1	300

This is what I meant by PPS. From the sampling frame of 1397 companies
in 9 cities, I want to draw a random sample of 300 comapnies based on
PPS. Do you think I am doing it right in excel?

Next, I tried to generate the same in stata using -gsample.

bys  City: gen freq= _N

. g pps=freq/1397

. gsample 30 [aw=pps], wor strata( pid)
(1127 observations deleted)

. tab  Province

City       Freq.     Percent	Cum.

Central          30       11.11	11.11
Copperbelt          30       11.11	22.22
Eastern          30       11.11	33.33
Luapula          30       11.11	44.44
Lusaka          30       11.11	55.56
North Western          30       11.11	66.67
Northern          30       11.11	77.78
Southern          30       11.11	88.89
Western          30       11.11	100.00

Total         270      100.00

The stata output is different from the excel output. -gsample draw 30
obs from each City, then how can it be based on PPS. Could you suggest
me the right code using -gsample to generate the excel output. or can
I use -samplepps, what would be the code for this?

Thanks,

Shikha