Re: st: RE: xtabond2--number of instruments.

From   Steven Archambault <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: xtabond2--number of instruments.
Date   Wed, 29 Jun 2011 11:31:25 -0600

Hi Eric,

I appreciate the links, those definitely help. But, I still feel like
I cannot predict what the number of instruments will be before I run
the regression. For example, using the sample data for xtabond2
(http://www.stata-press.com/data/r7/abdata.dta), I run the following
simple regressions and get the number of instruments.

xtabond2 n l.n k, gmm(l.n) noleveleq   (28 instruments for 751 obs and
141 groups)

I would have expected a minimum 4 instruments per group, since there
are 5-7 annual observations per group. Where is my miscalculation?

Thanks,
Steve