RE: st: RE: looping up to a local macro

From   "Sarah Edgington" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: looping up to a local macro
Date   Thu, 23 Jun 2011 10:48:50 -0700

Michael,
It sounds like maybe there's a lot of code in the loop that you aren't
showing us.  One thing that might be helpful is to -set trace on- right
before the chunk of code that's causing problems.  That way you'll be able
to see exactly what line of code is tripping Stata up.

Do you get the invalid syntax message even if you run the loop without the
macro?   For example, -forvalues i=1(1)50- ?  If you do then the problem is
with something else in the code and my advice above should help you pinpoint
exactly what the issue is.  If specifying a number instead of the local
macro letters solves the problem, that suggests that Stata doesn't recognize
the macro.  Things you might check in that case are whether you've made a
mistake typing the name of the macro and whether you're setting the macro in
the same dofile you're calling it from.  If you're testing things
interactively in Stata you'll need to set the macro before running the loop
even if you've done it previously in a dofile; Stata "forgets" all the local
macros as soon as a dofile completes.

-Sarah