AW: AW: st: Merge Panel Datasets

From   "Diana Beketova" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   AW: AW: st: Merge Panel Datasets
Date   Mon, 20 Jun 2011 03:41:58 +0200

Hello Phil,

thank you very much for your time and an extended answer to my question. I
have to apologize, if maybe my problems seem 'beginner-level' for you, but I
am using Stata seriously since quite a short time now and am trying to catch
up quickly in order to be on your level :-)

This is totally true that I first had to create 'total foreign ownership'
and 'total domestic ownership' in order to make one observation line out of
many. But I first wanted just to try to merge both data files, so I can see
if this merge can be successful at all and where are my week points to work
on.

I had an idea about building year clusters because I have a range of years
2002-2010. So I can build 3x3 year clusters: 2002-2004, 2005-2007,
2008-2010. Within each of these years I can generate new variables for Total
Assets and Oper. Revenue that will be averages of Total Assets and Oper.
Revenue within this cluster. Because ownership is so oddly distributed,
there is a high probability that there will be only one observation per year
cluster. At the end I would use Heckman correction method in order to
correct for selection bias. Or also Tobit-model for censored variables. Do
you think, this methodology could be reasonable to use? Otherwise, I don?t
know how to match these to files. I have to say that data comes from an
emerging market and is very biased and incomplete. Maybe you know further
ways how to deal with the bias problem?

Best wishes,

Diana