Re: st: Different types of missing data and MI

Subject   Re: st: Different types of missing data and MI
Date   Mon, 13 Jun 2011 20:50:09 -0400

Clyde Schechter <[email protected]>:
If it's true that your covariate falling below the detection limit is
not predictable from other covariates or outcomes, then it is
apparently orthogonal and can be omitted with no effect; if that's
true, then various imputation schemes should also produce essentially
the same estimates for other coefs.  You might estimate a -tobit- of
the 1/3 missing covariate on other covariates (and possibly the
outcome) and predict based on xb and a random draw from the error
distribution; a detection limit is one of the few instances in which
-tobit- works really well in simulations.  You can also omit the
covariate; you can also replace with the detection limit, or zero, and
include a dummy for missing (all known to be problematic in some
cases, but not yours).  There are more options than these four, but if
these four produce similar results, you have a very good footnote for
whatever table makes the final cut: the results are invariant to this
choice.