st: RE: FW: help on variable selection problem

From   "Sarah Edgington" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: FW: help on variable selection problem
Date   Fri, 10 Jun 2011 13:02:49 -0700

.
This doesn't seem to me to be a problem from the standpoint of analysis,
just interpretation.  A large sample size means that the estimates of
coefficients are more precise than they would be with a small sample.  No
matter what your sample size, though, statistical significance isn't
equivalent to substantive significance.  My recommendation would be to
specify a model that makes sense theoretically and then look at the results.
What's "important" for discussion of the results will depend somewhat on the
research question but discussing what kind of effect variables of interest
have seems to me to be what's important regardless of sample size.
Statistical significance doesn't tell you whether an effect size is large
enough to be interesting.  It tells you whether a coefficient is estimated
precisely enough to be reasonably sure it isn't zero.  A precisely estimated
small effect is still a small effect.

-Sarah