st: Re: geocode missing tempfile

From   "Dimitriy V. Masterov" <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Re: geocode missing tempfile
Date   Thu, 9 Jun 2011 14:13:49 -0400

The missing tempfile problem with geocode appears to be caused by the
presence of invisible ASCII characters (like tabs or ^I or Â) in the
address column of the csv file I was reading into Stata. When the csv
file is open in Excel or a text editor, they look like blank spaces
and pasting the particular address into Google Earth works just fine.
When the address is stored as a string in Stata, however, geocode will
crash.

Using charlist on the address variable(s) in Stata (or hexdump on the
whole csv file) will let you know which ones are causing the problem
and you can use filefilter to get rid of them in the csv file. Geocode
should work fine after that.

DVM