Re: st: hosmer lemshow goodness of fit statistics

From   Ari Samaranayaka <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: hosmer lemshow goodness of fit statistics
Date   Thu, 9 Jun 2011 10:31:06 +1200

As Steve says small Pvalues indicate lack of fit. Reference for HL goodness fit test is Hosmer Jr., D. W., Lemeshow. S. 2000. Applied Logistic Regression. 2nd ed. New York: Wiley. According to my experience this test is very unreliable because Pvalue is very sensitive to the groupings. In other words you decide the Pvalue. This fact is acknowledged by the Hosmer and Lemeshow in a different publication. However this test is still widely used for logistic regression (I would say almost the standard) at least within the discipline of epidemiology. I like others Stata users' comments on this test although this is not specifically about Stata.
Ari