Re: st: retransformation of ln(Y) coefficient and CI in regression

From   Roger Newson <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: retransformation of ln(Y) coefficient and CI in regression
Date   Mon, 6 Jun 2011 10:31:46 +0100

The -regress- command has an -eform- option, which gives the confidence limits of geometric means and their ratios. This is described in Newson (2003), and can be used together with -robust- to display unequal-variance confidence limits.

And, if you want to plot the confidence limits against the factor values, then you might like to use the -parmest-, -eclplot-, -fvregen- and -descsave- packages, downloadable from SSC. As in:

tempfile df0
descsave factor, do(`"`df0'"', replace)
regress lnY ibn.factor, vce(robust) noconst eform(GM/Ratio)
parmest, norestore eform
fvregen, do(`"`df0'"')
eclplot estimate min* max* factor

In this example, we start by defining a temporary file whose macro name is -df0-. We then use -descsave- (an extended version of -describe- which can create output do-files) to write a do-file to that temporary file, defining the variable attributes (storage type, format, variable label and value label) of the variable -factor-. We then use -regress-, with the -eform(GM)- option to specify confidence limits for geometric means and/or their ratios, and the -noconst- option and the X-variable list -ibn.factor- to specify that the parameters will be geometric means instead of ratios. We then use -parmest- to overwrite the existing dataset in memory with an output dataset (or resultsset), with 1 observation per parameter and data on parameter names, estimates, confidence limits and other parameter attributes. In this new output dataset, we then use -fvregen- to regenerate the variable -factor- from the parameter names. Finally, we use -eclplot- to produce a confidence interval plot, with the values of -factor- on the X-axis and the estimates and unequal-variance confidence limits for the corresponding geometric means on the Y-axis. More about all these packages can be found in the on-line help for -parmest-, which contains many hypertext references.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Roger