st: RE: RE: Writing the value of a variable in another variable in a selective way

From   "Mak, Timothy" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Writing the value of a variable in another variable in a selective way
Date   Tue, 31 May 2011 17:32:44 +0000

I think Nick meant:

gen partnerprofit = profit[5] in 3

But following this logic, and if your dataset is not large, you could do it in a loop, I think:

gen partnerprofit = .
forval i=1/`=c(N)' {

	local partnerid = partnerid[`i']
	replace partnerprofit = profit[`partnerid'] in `i'

}

where I assume you have a partnerid variable which gives you the observation number of the partner.

If your id's do not go in 1,2,3,...,n, however, you may need to do a bit more programming... and probably -merge- is the easiest.

Tim