Re: st: When to use Poisson or Negative Binomial

From   Maarten Buis <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: When to use Poisson or Negative Binomial
Date   Fri, 27 May 2011 09:02:01 +0200

On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 1:45 AM, Argyn Kuketayev wrote:
> i wouldn't use Poisson if the variance is much greater than the mean,
> e.g. mean = 17, variance = 40.
> who cares how robust is the estimate if it simply doesn't fit

That is not quite all there is to say on this topic. You first need to
know with respect to what aspects of the model a model is "robust".
For example, if we talk about robust standard errors than that
typically is typically robust with respect to the model of the
variance and higher moments, but assumes that the model is correct
with respect to the mean. The comparison of the marginal mean and
variance does not tell us enough to distinguish between the two.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie