RE: st: RE: correct egen command to calculate means - please help

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: RE: correct egen command to calculate means - please help
Date   Wed, 18 May 2011 19:16:44 +0100

There are various ways to do it. Here's one:

egen group = group(ID)
su group, meanonly

gen mean = .

qui forval i = 1/`r(max)' {
	su ID if group == `i', meanonly
	local ID = r(mean)
	su Value if group == `i', meanonly
	replace mean = r(mean) if ParentID == `ID'
}

Another would to -collapse- to a set of means on ID and then -merge- back matching with ParentID.

Ophelie Desmarais

Thanks a lot for the reply. Sorry for not providing more information:

Let's say I have this dataset:

UniqueID          ID                        ParentID             Value
1                     1                                                   10
2                     1                                                    20
3                     2                          1                        5
4                     2                          2                        5

Basically, I want to add another variable (say "mean_value") that
calculates the mean for (10+20)/2 and assigns the value to UniqueID=3
(since UniqueID=3's ParentID is 1 and this links to UniqueID=1 and
UniqueID=2's ID variable). For UniqueID=4, similarly, the mean_value
would be = 5 (the average value of the observations where
ID=ParentID=3).

egen mean_value=mean(Value), by(ParentID) would give me 5 and 5 for
UniqueID=3 and UniqueID=4, which is not what I try to get.

Again, thanks for your kind answer.

o.