Re: st: -gammafit-, -pgamma-, -qgamma- packages revised on SSC

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: -gammafit-, -pgamma-, -qgamma- packages revised on SSC
Date   Wed, 18 May 2011 00:44:03 +0100

This may not have been clear enough.

-gmm- naturally uses whatever kind of GMM you specify.

-gammafit- is a maximum likelihood fitter.

I was led by looking at -gmm- documentation to ensure that there was a
way of doing the same gamma example using ML.

Incidentally, if you use the same data as the -gmm- example, and all
of -gammafit-'s defaults, it doesn't converge. It needs either a
-technique()- other than -nr- or the -alternative- parameterisation.
You can read that in various ways, that ML doesn't always find
reasonable solutions, that the example is not actually very close to a
gamma distribution, and so on.

Stata 11 users can get that data by

. webuse greenegamma, clear

Stata 10 users can get it by

. use  http://www.stata-press.com/data/r11/greenegamma.dta, clear

I doubt that trick will work in Stata 9 or earlier, given changes in
Stata's dataset format.

Nick