st: Wishlist - Intellisense-like real time context for Stata programming

From   Matthew Parkes <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Wishlist - Intellisense-like real time context for Stata programming
Date   Fri, 13 May 2011 14:38:34 +0000

Hi,

I guess that this may well have been covered, but I thought it was worth asking. I just wanted to voice an idea I had, as a suggestion to Stata developers.

I've been learning Stata for around 6-7 months now, and I find the online support and user-written programs a really help in getting to grips with Stata quickly. However, one thing that I thought could be really handy to implement in successive versions (although I'm not sure how much of a task this may be) would be some sort of reflective autocorrection, like Microsoft's Intellisense in Visual Studio. I found that the little popups you get in Visual Studio to really help when writing out unfamiliar commands, and speed up learning of code massively.

I'm currently using Notepad++ as my text editor, and am aware that other solutions may have already been implemented (for example, in Emacs maybe?), however I'm not too sure if they exist, and if they do, how to implement them.

As I said, this was just a suggestion, so any information/help/ideas would be great.

Thanks,

Matt Parkes