Re: st: Combining value labels, appending

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Combining value labels, appending
Date   Thu, 12 May 2011 10:18:57 +0100

Here's a program, -labvalcombine-. Not much testing!

Examples first:

. label def lb1 1 "one" 2 "two" 3 "three", modify
. label def lb2 2 "deux" 3 "three" 4 "four", modify

. labvalcombine lb1 lb2, lblname(both)
both:
           1 one
           2 deux
           3 three
           4 four

. labvalcombine lb1 lb2
lb1:
           1 one
           2 deux
           3 three
           4 four

The rules are

1. Specify two or more names of value label sets.

2. If a -lblname()- is specified, that is used for the combined
labels. Otherwise the first label set name is used.

3. Later definitions overwrite earlier definitions.

If you don't like the rules, feel free to devise alternatives.

Nick

*! NJC 1.0.0 12 May 2011
program labvalcombine
	version 8
	gettoken names 0 : 0 , parse(,)
	syntax [, lblname(str)]

	foreach name of local names {
		capture label list `name'
		if _rc {
			di as err "value label `name' not found"
			exit _rc
		}
	}

	tempfile dofile1 dofile2
	tempname in out
	qui label save `names' using `"`dofile1'"'
	file open `in' using `"`dofile1'"', r
	file open `out' using `"`dofile2'"', w

	file read `in' line
	tokenize `"`line'"'
	if "`lblname'" == "" local lblname `3'

	local cmd "label define `lblname'"

	while r(eof) == 0 {
		local line : subinstr local line "`1' `2' `3'" "`cmd'"
		file write `out' `"`line'"' _n
		file read `in' line
		tokenize `"`line'"'
	}