Re: st: merge on diff id vars

From   Daniel Feenberg <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: merge on diff id vars
Date   Thu, 5 May 2011 10:06:25 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 5 May 2011, Argyn Kuketayev wrote:

Hello

I have two data sets with keys PK and FK correspondingly. i want to
merge them 1:1, except the key names are different in the dataset. i
cant figure out if it's possible by reading the manual. any tips?

. generate pk=fk

and then do the merge? I know SAS has a way to avoid the assignment, but that is because the assignment would cost an expensive pass through the data. Since the single generate statement isn't costly, Stata doesn't need a special "rename as you load" option. (But even in Stata you could just rename the variable in the primary dataset, avoiding even the small cost of the gen statement).

Daniel Feenberg

--
Argyn Kuketayev