Re: st: Re: insheet multi threading

From   Maarten buis <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Re: insheet multi threading
Date   Mon, 2 May 2011 16:05:58 +0100 (BST)

--- Argyn Kuketayev wrote:
> I'm sure everyone does it daily: read CSV files.

This is statement that is very easy to falsify: it only
needs one Stata user who does not do it daily. I am
such a Stata user: I use Stata often and I have been
doing so for some time, and over the last 8 years or
so that I have used Stata I can remember only three
or four instances that I have read a CSV file.

I am not trying to be mean --- well, actually I am, but
that is not the point --- the point is that we often tend to
generalize our experience to the rest of the world.
Even in the very homogenous group of Stata users
or the even more homogenous group of statalist
subscribers, that is usually not the case. People use
Stata in surprisingly different ways, so what is very
important to you can easily be completely irrelevant to
others. So I would be very careful when making such
statements and check with different people from different
disciplines and industries before making such claims.
The easier alternative is to just not make such
statements.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Institut fuer Soziologie