Re: st: Left truncation in survival analysis

From   Steven Samuels <[email protected]>
To   Yigit Aydede <[email protected]>, [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Left truncation in survival analysis
Date   Thu, 28 Apr 2011 09:11:33 -0400

You are welcome, Yigit.

In Statalist, a  private thank you note is always appreciated, not only by the recipient but by others for whom it's not informative.  I am forwarding your post to the list because there is still a substantial issue.

But no, the name of your phenomenon *is* left truncation. Left censoring occurs when you know for some individuals only that the event took place prior to a certain time.  An early article that addressed this phenomenon was: Wagner, S.S., and S.A. Altmann. 1973. What time do the baboons come down from the trees? (an estimation problem). Biometrics 29 (4): 623-635.   On some mornings, the observer arrived too late to see what time the baboons descended.

Steve
[email protected]