st: Re: ocal macros & do file

From   Andrew Dyck <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: ocal macros & do file
Date   Tue, 26 Apr 2011 16:13:49 -0700

I think I might know what you are experiencing. This is something that
I've encountered when attempting to debug. For example, you have some
code written in Stata's do-file editor and want to test a block of it
so you type into the terminal:

local hello = "Hello"

then you copy and paste your block of code from the do-file editor
into the terminal. An example of this code might be:

local planets = "Earth Mars"
foreach planet of local planets {
di "`hello' `planet'"
}

Which then prints:

Hello Earth
Hello Mars

Then you try selecting the block of code in the do-file editor and hit
CTRL+D to "do" the selected code, which produces:

Earth
Mars

Skipping the local as you mention.

This happens because when you hit CTRL+D, the code is passed as a
temporary do-file (something like STD00000000.tmp) and the local you
defined in the terminal is separate from this file. Using a global for
hello would fix this, or you could re-examine your method of
debugging.

Cheers,
Andrew