st: rologit

From   [email protected]
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: rologit
Date   Mon, 25 Apr 2011 19:52:31 +0200

Dear Statalist users,

Following Allison, P.D. & Christakis, N.A. (1994), "Logit Models for Sets of Ranked Items", Sociological Methodology, 24, 199-228, we model the case where "J", the number of alternatives, can differ across respondents. From the theoretical point of view, this is not problematic, but to implement it on STATA is not straightforward.

We ask each respondant to name the 6 most dangerous alternatives from an initial list of 20 (we clarify that it was possible to add alternatives to the list). By doing this, we do not have ties in our sample. However, we ended up with 32 different alternatives. When using the rologit command of STATA 11 I got the message:

there are 32 alternatives in invasive; the maximum number of alternatives is 20
r(149);

My question is twofold:
1) Is there a way to increase the maximum number of alternatives from 20 to 32? 2) Is it possible to accommodate "rologit" to the case where "J" is not fixed among respondants?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Alicia