Re: st: roll rates

Subject   Re: st: roll rates
Date   Sat, 23 Apr 2011 08:48:05 -0400

Nick Cox <[email protected]>, Argyn Kuketayev
<[email protected]>:

-xttrans- does not seem to respect gaps in time within panel, where
someone estimating transition probabilities would want to, but -tab-
works fine if you define the appropriate lag variable, and -svy:tab-
works better, if you have weighted and/or clustered data, or you want
to test something.

clear
webuse nlswork
g lmsp=l.msp
la var lmsp "last month's state"
note lmsp: not last month, but actually year(s)
bys idcode (year): g flmsp=msp[_n-1]
la var flmsp "last observation's state"
xttrans msp
ta flmsp msp, nofr row
* note equivalence above--not period-to-period transitions:
ta lmsp msp, nofr row
svyset, srs
svy:ta lmsp msp, row
* usually transition matrix has cols sum to 1:
svy:ta msp lmsp, col
test _b[p12]=_b[p21]
test _b[p11]=_b[p22]
* the above tests equality of cell proportions...
* to test equality of transition rates use se or ci options:
svy:ta msp lmsp, col se
test _b[p12]=_b[p21]
test _b[p11]=_b[p22]