Re: st: Graphical challenge from Gelman blog

From   "Airey, David C" <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Graphical challenge from Gelman blog
Date   Thu, 21 Apr 2011 12:45:56 -0500

.

The scales of the data across measures make using the raw data in your graph perfectly fine in my opinion.

I don't like their graphs, either the original or the newer ones. At least the original ring is reminiscent of a clock face, which I think must have been the intention. I don't think it suffers too badly from pie graph problems in the manner done.

If I were doing one measure at a time, the only thing I would do with your graph would be to order the countries from large to small. But this cannot be done in your graph, because country has a fixed X position across the different measures.

I guess when making a graph, from data that can be used to form multiple messages, is to ask which message is meant to be conveyed? I did not read Gelman's thread to know what that was.