st: -tabout- excess space between caption and first line

From   Michael Crain <[email protected]>
To   Statalist <[email protected]>
Subject   st: -tabout- excess space between caption and first line
Date   Wed, 13 Apr 2011 19:15:59 -0400

I am using Ian Watson's -tabout- to create a table in Tex format. After compiling the Tex file in LaTex, the table looks fine except the spacing under the caption to the first horizontal line is too great. The gap is not trivial. It is about 0.3 inches and obviously too much. I've got other tables in my Tex document created using -esttab_ where the caption spacing appears normal. Even if I had to live with the excess spacing in this table, it makes my other tables appear inconsistent.

I can't figure out how to control the caption spacing in the table created by -tabout-. The first part of the relevant Tex code generated by -tabout- is below.  Has anyone else encountered this issue and been able to overcome it?

begin{table}[htbp]
  \centering
  \footnotesize
  \caption{My caption is here}
\begin{center}
\footnotesize
\newcolumntype{Y}{>{\raggedleft\arraybackslash}X}
\begin{tabularx} {12cm} {@{} l Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y Y@{}} \\
\toprule