Re: st: Spss's aggregate vs stata's collapse.

From   [email protected] (Brendan Halpin)
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Spss's aggregate vs stata's collapse.
Date   Wed, 13 Apr 2011 12:13:56 +0100

On Wed, Apr 13 2011, Amadou DIALLO wrote:

> Brendan, Uli,
> Thanks for answers. Yes, it has to do with weights. Removing it yields
> same results. Apparently SPSS rounds non-integer weight to the nearest
> integer (the total weighted frequency, not individual weights (sic!):
> www.spsstools.net/Tutorials/WEIGHTING.pdf

SPSS is doing the wrong thing here, then.

> I've tried Brendan's solution but this is not working. So far, I can't
> duplicate results and am stuck. Will continue checking.

If you really need to duplicate the results, you need to replicate
SPSS's "error". It may be enough to round the weight yourself.

Going beyond that, you need to think about what you want the weights to
do. It might work to carry the weight variable through the -collapse-
(as the sum of the weights in the group) and weight the analysis
afterwards.

Brendan
--
Brendan Halpin,   Department of Sociology,   University of Limerick,   Ireland
Tel: w +353-61-213147  f +353-61-202569  h +353-61-338562;  Room F1-009 x 3147