Re: st: Renaming variables, bis

From   Neil Shephard <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Renaming variables, bis
Date   Tue, 12 Apr 2011 11:41:04 +0100

On Tue, Apr 12, 2011 at 11:35 AM, BAIJER Jan 212040 <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello Stata,
>
> I have a tab delimited text file that I would like to work on using Stata. This file has a header that I'd like to eliminate; line 9 of the file contains variable names, lines 10 and further contain the observations.
>
> I'd like to "transform" my datafile from within Stata, by dropping the first 8 lines, and renaming the variables correctly. There must be a smart way of doing this ?! I could not find out how to get rid of the generic variable names, and instruct Stata to use the information on a given (first) line of the file for variable names.
>
> It so appears (...) that the intended variable names (first observation of each variable) have spaces inthem, so I would probably be looking to try to eliminate those by "subinstr", but I can't get that to work.
>
> I have tried several variants of :
>
> foreach var of varlist _all {
>
>    local NewVarName = subinstr ("`var'[1]'"," ","_")
>
>    ren `var' `NewVarName'
>
> }
>
> Thank you for helping out on this !

I'd start by investigating the solutions suggested by myself and Nick
Cox in response to the virtually identical question you posed a few
hours back.

If you're receiving the digest format of Statalist then you probably
won't receive those replies until the next digest, but you can always
check in the archives (e.g. http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/)
to see if there has been a response to your post.

Note also the FAQ item at
http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/statalist.html#noanswer

Neil

--
“Truth in science can be defined as the working hypothesis best suited
to open the way to the next better one.” - Konrad Lorenz

Email - [email protected]
Website - http://kimura.no-ip.org/