RE: st: cubic spline interpolation in panel data

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: cubic spline interpolation in panel data
Date   Tue, 5 Apr 2011 20:42:28 +0100

Privately, I asked for a copy of Ben's data.

I found that -csipolate- (well, Mata's inbuilt functions, but who am I to point a finger of blame) is falling over when asked to interpolate singleton missing values.

That is, there is just one observation; and the variable in question is missing in that observation.

As in this case there is nothing to interpolate with, the problem is utterly futile, modulo some possible amusement value to postmodernists, but it can be trapped easily, and I will update -csipolate- accordingly.

Ben Ammar

Hi Nick,

thanks for your answer. You're right, the statistical approach of interpolating the data isn't the best choice but unfortunately the data is only available on a quarterly basis.

I just used the command that you mentioned as follows:
-by group: csipolate price date, gen(price2)-

I generated missing values between the quarterly dates through -tsfill-
and everything also works fine -ipolate- and -cipolate-.
But with -csipolate- I receive this:
               spline3():  3201  x[0,0] found where vector required
             csipolate():     -  function returned error
                 <istmt>:     -  function returned error

I have no idea why that happens. The help-menu does not indicate any further information for the -csipolate- command. Am I missing additional information?

Regards Ben

-------- Original-Nachricht --------