Re: st: how keep row variables even if they are missing

From   Abu Camara <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: how keep row variables even if they are missing
Date   Tue, 5 Apr 2011 14:02:50 +0300

Hi,

Yes, you are right Nick. Otherwise I will it difficult to
use Excel's group format facility to format all my 60 tables at once.

I believe editing the table.ado file as suggested could help
but I have no idea about ado files. The word "hijra" is not an issue in the
codes. You can as well change the name to "year" and it will not make any
difference.

Abu.

On 5 April 2011 13:30, Nick Cox <[email protected]> wrote:
> That is valuable clarification.
>
> From what I understand, Abu would need to add extra observations to
> his dataset to get them to show in tables, even as missings, while
> using _the same -if- condition_.
>
> The story adds point to my earlier digression that missing data,
> meaning observations with missing values, and gaps in data are quite
> different.
>
> Quite independently of any Stata questions, for what -hijra- means see (e.g.)
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_calendar
>
> Nick
>
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 8:47 AM, daniel klein
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Abu wrote me privately, but I will answer on statlist as suggested here:
>> http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/res/statalist.html#private
>>
>> The "problem" is neither with -table- nor with any other command or
>> option. In fact it is not a problem, but exactly what you should
>> expect Stata to do. The code, that is used basicly reads:
>>
>> table country hijra_grp, c(sum id sum us sum count), if  hijra>1428
>>
>> Some countries do not appear in the table, but this is not because
>> -table- drops (or omits) observations, but because the if condition is
>> not satisfied for those countries. That is, there is no case in which
>> hijra > 1428 for those countries in the dataset. Since your are
>> telling Stata to run the command (-table- in this case) only on cases
>> that satisfy the if conditon, you do not find the countries in your
>> table.
>>
>> I do not know how to change this behaviour nor do I think you want to
>> change it. Re-think the -if- statement and think of alternative ways
>> to get the desired statistics.
>
> *
> *   For searches and help try:

Best Wishes,