Re: st: Make and Stata

From   Phil Schumm <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Make and Stata
Date   Sun, 3 Apr 2011 19:49:20 -0500

On Apr 3, 2011, at 3:31 PM, Brendan Halpin wrote:
Are Kai Arzheimer (http://bit.ly/fsTqNk) and I (http://bit.ly/ fzXZ5w) the only Stata users who use the make program to organise our Stata projects?

Nope -- I often use make to organize Stata projects. However, while this works well for my own projects and when collaborating with other Unix/Linux folks, it's unfortunately not as useful for those using Windows. Thus, I also frequently provide a do-file which works like a Makefile to build a project's datasets, run analyses and generate figures, etc., and can be run by anyone with Stata. Of course, this approach cannot replicate make's full functionality (e.g., the way it efficiently handles changes to dependencies).

-- Phil