Re: st: smoothing quantiles

From   László Sándor <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: smoothing quantiles
Date   Sat, 2 Apr 2011 09:28:13 -0400

Thank you, Nick, this is very useful.

It turns out that I myself would have been more interested in
something like density estimation (well, more like CDFs), but instead
of 3D plots of density (I know that this is possible), using "level
sets" or contour curves in 2D, which basically plotting the quantiles
of yvar in terms of values (not quantiles) of xvar.

The code you just sent does not seem to do that. But maybe this is
only how we can plot the results of hdquantile? I should play with it
more. In any case, you say that CDFs (quantiles) are harder to smooth
than densities? This makes sense. But for descriptive purposes I would
still try to do that in a dataset rich (large) enough.

Am I wrong on this? If not, do you know of an easyish workaround?

Thank you again!

Laszlo