Re: st: RE: Direct and indirect of intrument variables

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: RE: Direct and indirect of intrument variables
Date   Tue, 29 Mar 2011 19:06:12 +0100

If so, and I suspect Sarah is right, the mix-up rather underlines how
awful this IV terminology is. (I expect that medics could only think
"intravenous", which might be sufficient to exclude the term from
biostatistics, for a start.) I know that all terminology is, as it
were, for consenting adults only, but there are lots of good
alternatives to choose from: predictor, covariate, regressor,
explanatory variable, ... .

Nick

On Tue, Mar 29, 2011 at 6:38 PM, Sarah Edgington <[email protected]> wrote:
> .
> It looks like you're running into a terminology problem here.  I'm pretty
> sure that the "IV" in your last link ("How can I analyze multiple mediators
> in Stata?") stands for independent variable not instrumental variable.  Your
> instrumental variable should not have a direct effect on your outcome.

Garriga Rubio Helena