RE: Re: st: Popularity of R, SAS, SPSS, Stata, Statistica, S-PLUS updated

From   "Muenchen, Robert A (Bob)" <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: Re: st: Popularity of R, SAS, SPSS, Stata, Statistica, S-PLUS updated
Date   Fri, 25 Mar 2011 15:06:35 +0000

Argyn,

R is on Amazon's Elastic Compute Cloud now. A fellow wrote to the R-help list a year or two ago asking what kind of machine would solve his large problem. The answer was about $20,000 (like Stata, the data usually must be in RAM). He could not afford that & about a week later he had solved it on Amazon. The cost was something like $2.50!

On the other hand, we investigated replicating our 2,500-core system that's 85% utilized. That was insanely more expensive than purchasing the hardware & hiring an HPC guru to manage it.

The cloud is certainly a game-changer, but not necessarily for all situations. Exciting times!

Bob