Re: st: Centering variables in Multilevel Modeling

Subject   Re: st: Centering variables in Multilevel Modeling
Date   Thu, 24 Mar 2011 16:41:37 -0500

Centering wrt to the grand mean does not change anything (except for
the intercept of the model), while centering wrt to the level 2 means
affects the estimates of the slopes and  interpretation of the
coefficients, and is said to remove variability of the predictor
between level 2 units from the intercept(s). In my view, these are
rather different models; both rely on generated regressors, and hence
produce understated standard errors (especially the one with level 2
centering, as it needs to estimate more parameters to generate these
regressors).

With 30 units, especially unbalanced, I would not trust the estimates
of variability at level 2. In all likelihood, you have complex survey
data that have stratification, clustering and unequal probabilities of
selection that you need to account for.