re: st: Question on a quasi-time series

From   "Ariel Linden, DrPH" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   re: st: Question on a quasi-time series
Date   Thu, 24 Mar 2011 11:00:27 -0700

Hi Rachel,

I think the regression approach is suitable here, as opposed to time series
analysis. However, I am not clear on how exactly you are using nbreg?

If I read your posting correctly, you are taking what data you have and
converting that into a daily rate? My concern would be that you have a
tremendous amount of missing data for all the days in which you don't (or
can't) collect data. As a result, your "rate" is miss-specified because of
the missing data (unless you can make an argument that the data are missing
at random, and all observations across all years are equally subject to this
rule).

Because I don't know the content of your data (or the limitations of your
data collection), I would hate to steer you in the wrong direction. It seems
to me that if you have certain months (or days) every year in which you are
certain that your data are accurate (and representative), you could limit
your analysis to only those months. Then you could compare your counts (or
rates) year over year using panel type models (assuming these are the same
animals in your data set year over year), or straight count models such as
nbreg or poission (clustered to account for serial dependency within units).

As for setting the p value at 0.01, I am not sure why that would be
considered a fix for the problem of serial dependency? Clustering, or using
longitudinal models are certainly more appropriate (and defensible)
approaches.

I hope this helps.

Ariel