Re: st: Popularity of R, SAS, SPSS, Stata, Statistica, S-PLUS updated

From   Nick Cox <[email protected]>
Subject   Re: st: Popularity of R, SAS, SPSS, Stata, Statistica, S-PLUS updated
Date   Tue, 22 Mar 2011 11:11:59 +0000

These matters remain of great interest, yet comparison is made
complicated by different ways of working and by the need to understand
how each community works. Probably few people are as well informed as
Robert across the software surveyed, but pitfalls remain.

In this document there is a repeated misunderstanding. Downloads from
SSC (repec), as members of this list will generally know, are only one
way of downloading user-written packages for Stata. Indeed another
main way, through the Stata Journal and Stata Technical Bulletin
websites, predates SSC. Data for such downloads are proprietary to
StataCorp. It's my guess that they are easily the same order of
magnitude as SSC downloads.

Further, some Stata user-programmers maintain their own websites,
either individually or collectively (e.g. the group at UCLA), but I
know of no data for such sites.

I made essentially the same point -- and others -- last year

http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2010-06/msg01175.html

and Robert replied to that email, but the misunderstanding remains in
this version.