Re: st: How to allocate more memories to Stata

From   Gordon Hughes <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: How to allocate more memories to Stata
Date   Mon, 21 Mar 2011 13:05:01 +0000

With Win7 64 bit you should be able to allocate far more than 1500M using the -set mem- command if you have 6 GB of physical RAM provided that you have the right version of Stata installed. I use Stata-MP 64 bit and can easily allocate 4000M (I have 8 GB of physical RAM + Win7 64 bit).

So: (a) Have you installed the 64 bit version of Stata? (b) Are you using Stata-SE or Stata-MP?

If the answer to either question is no, then you should start by installing the correct version of Stata.

A second issue that you should think about is whether you really need to hold so much data in memory, because even if you can store it you may find that subsequent processing is very slow.

Gordon Hughes
[email protected]

At 02:13 AM 3/21/2011, Zhou, Nan wrote:
>Dear Statalisters,
>
>I am trying to allocate more memories (>2G) to Stata to run frontier
>analysis. My desktop has 6G RAM, but I was only able to allocate
>about 1500M by using "set mem" command.
>
>Any suggestions on how to allocate more memories would be extremely helpful.
>
>Thanks a lot!

What is your operating system, e.g. Win7 64bit, WinXP 32 bit, Linux?

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL: [email protected]