RE: st: Brant test interpretation with categorical variables

From   Massimiliano Volpi <[email protected]>
To   stata list <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Brant test interpretation with categorical variables
Date   Fri, 18 Mar 2011 12:29:02 +0000

Thanks for your quick reply, Maarten,

however, what I meant was something different:

the results I have are something like the ones below (I had  to alter the actual numbers, which are purely an example, because of restrictions imposed by clearance, due to the data I am using).

brant, detail

Estimated coefficients from j-1 binary regressions

                               y>0         y>1
                [...]
                regulation1   .4002      -.3756
                regulation2   .7453       .5645
                regulation3   .5786       .8256
                [...]

Brant Test of Parallel Regression Assumption

    Variable |      chi2   p>chi2    df
-------------+--------------------------
         All |
-------------+--------------------------

[.....]
regulation1  |      4.79    0.029     1
regulation2  |      0.30    0.587     1
regulation3  |      0.12    0.733     1
 [....]

A significant test statistic provides evidence that the parallel
regression assumption has been violated.

The regulation variable compares the importance companies assign to a
specific source of information for innovation when innovation is
motivated by the need to meet regulatory requirements. Regulatory
requirements can be classified as  high, medium, low or not applicable.In my model regulation1 compares the low category to "not applicable",
 regulation2 compares medium to not applicable and so forth.

What I wonder is whether I should rely on the t-test for the low vs not applicable (regulation1) or rather (as I think) on an LR test to test simultaneously all categories (i.e. low vs non-applicable, medium vs non applicable, high vs non applicable, or 1 to 3) given that "regulation" takes on separate values, but this is just the result of it being categorical rather than a continuos variable.

Best Wishes

Max Volpi