Re: st: Heatmaps

From   Keith Dear <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Heatmaps
Date   Thu, 17 Mar 2011 10:29:05 +1100

Hi Austin,
Referring to tddens3 was inadvertent in my post -- I merely added an
option SAVING(string) to write out the grid of densities as a .csv
file -- useful for plotting in other programs (I'll send it privately
to brighten your day).

Other features? -- it would be nice to have "pretty" axis labels
instead of the quartiles.
Keith

On 17 March 2011 03:32, Austin Nichols <[email protected]> wrote:
> Keith Dear <[email protected]>:
> I am joining this discussion late, but you are right that -tddens-
> uses Square marker symbols that can overplot or not cover the plot
> area completely.  I will investigate using -tw rbar- or -tw rarea- to
> instead graph areas instead that adjoin perfectly.  Anyone who needs
> this functionality can email me directly to nag me.  Keith--did you
> modify tddens and save it as -tddens3- or did someone else give you a
> modified copy?  What other features do you need from it?
>
> On Tue, Mar 8, 2011 at 2:49 AM, Keith Dear <[email protected]> wrote:
>> They don't.
>> -tddens- has an option Gridpoints that defaults to 40, and playing
>> with it shows that the squares roughly abut for g=30, not 40.
>> g<30 leaves gaps (and demonstrates a famous optical illusion).
>> It's interesting that it still seems to work well with g>30, even
>> though the squares must overlap, which I suppose distorts the image.
>>
>> clear all
>> set obs 1000
>> g x=rnormal(0,1)
>> g y=(x+rnormal(0,1))/sqrt(2)
>> drop if abs(x)<1 & abs(y)<1
>> tddens3 y x, g(24) bw(.01)
>>
>> Keith

>>> Almost unreadable at first glance but indeed very clever. I see the main
>>> idea (round your Z variable, and overlay scatterplots of X and Y for
>>> each level of rounded Z, with direct control of the colour via the
>>> mcolor option -- that will allow Stata to do anything,
>>> colour-palette-wise, that gnuplot can).
>>>
>>> What I can't see is how the code makes the square scatterplot symbols
>>> abut exactly.
>>>
>>> Brendan
>>> --
>>> Brendan Halpin,  Department of Sociology,  University of Limerick,  Ireland
>>> Tel: w +353-61-213147 f +353-61-202569 h +353-61-338562; Room F1-009 x 3147
>>> mailto:[email protected]  http://www.ul.ie/sociology/brendan.halpin.html
>
> *
> *   For searches and help try:

Dr Keith Dear
National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health
ANU College of Medicine, Biology and Environment
Australian National University
Canberra, ACT 0200 Australia
CRICOS provider #00120C
Phone +61 (02) 6273 2208