re: st: Sobel test for mediation with a mixed linear model - GLLAMM???

From   "Ariel Linden, DrPH" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   re: st: Sobel test for mediation with a mixed linear model - GLLAMM???
Date   Wed, 16 Mar 2011 14:35:02 -0700

Hi Nicola,

The traditional Baron-Kenny approach uses an OLS approach, while you are
proposing a multi-level model. First off, you do not provide us with
justification for this approach, so it is difficult to provide feedback. Why
would you not use the OLS approach? Do you have linear outcomes in both Y
and M models? Are you looking at multiple mediation/outcome periods???

If you choose not to use the traditional BK approach, the literature
suggests structural equation modeling or even non/semi-parametric
approaches.

Again, we can't help you unless you help us...

Ariel

Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2011 19:55:44 +1100
From: Nicola Man <[email protected]>
Subject: st: Sobel test for mediation with a mixed linear model - GLLAMM???

Would anyone have a clue on how to conduct a Sobel test for a multilevel
linear model?

One common method is to conduct three separate regressions (according to
Baron and Kenny):
1) y= constant + c'x + bm + error
2) y= constant + cx + error
3) m= constant + ax + error

Where y=dependent variable (i.e. outcome), x=independent variable and
m=mediator variable

Then obtain the product of the coefficients ab and standard errors to
estimate indirect effect.

I can do these mixed effect regressions with xtreg, but the problem is c-c'
should equal ab and I am not getting this using xtreg (so I think this is
not correct).  I suspect it could be something to do with the random error
structure, and wondering if it is possible to get the models simultaneously
fitted in gllamm which might overcome this problem?

Help appreciated! Thanks!